Cognitive science is the interdisciplinary scientific study of the mind and its processes. It examines what cognition is, what it does and how it works. It includes research on intelligence and behavior, especially focusing on how information is represented, processed, and transformed (in faculties such as perception, language, memory, reasoning, and emotion) within nervous systems (human or other animal) and machines (e.g. computers). Cognitive science consists of multiple research disciplines, including psychology, artificial intelligence, philosophy, neuroscience, linguistics, and anthropology. It spans many levels of analysis, from low-level learning and decision mechanisms to high-level logic and planning; from neural circuitry to modular brain organization. The fundamental concept of cognitive science is “that thinking can best be understood in terms of representational structures in the mind and computational procedures that operate on those structures.”
Here I am going to give the information about the courses available in India with concerned Institute details:
1. Centre of Behavioural and Cognitive Sciences (CBCS) , University of Allahabad, India
- A Master (M.Sc.) in Cognitive Science : Students who have completed a Bachelors degree in Behavioural/Cognitive Science or related disciplines including Psychology, Neuroscience, Biosciences, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Medicine, etc. are eligible to apply for admission to the Master programme.
- Doctoral program in Cognitive Science : Students who have completed a Master program in Behavioural/Cognitive Science or related disciplines including Psychology, Neuroscience, Sciences, Engineering (e.g., Computer Science, Electronics & Communication, Electrical Engineering), Linguistics, Medicine, and Philosophy are eligible to apply for admission to the Doctoral Program. Students with NET/JRF/CSIR/GATE/ICMR are encouraged to apply.
- Website: http://cbcs.ac.in/
2. IIT Gandhi Nagar
Courses Available:M.Sc. , Ph.D.
- M.Sc. in Cognitive Science: Students who have a Bachelor’s degree (e.g. B.A., B.Sc., B.Tech.) with a minimum of 55% (5.5 CGPA for students with letter grades/CGPA) aggregate marks for General/OBC category candidates and at least 50% (5.0 CGPA for students with letter grades/CGPA) aggregate marks for SC, ST and PD category candidates in the qualifying degree, are eligible to apply for admission to the Master’s program in Cognitive Science. Students who are awaiting final semester/year results may also apply
- Cognitive Science program IIT Gandhinagar, [[Ph.D., M.Sc]] (from 2010, 2013)
- Website: http://cogs.iitgn.ac.in/
3. School Of Cognitive Science, Jadavpur University
Course Offered:, M.Phil. , Ph.D.
- School of Cognitive Science, Jadavpur University, Calcutta from 2002 (Ph.D. & M. Phil)
- Website: https://sites.google.com/site/schoolnewsite/home
4. Center for Neural and Cognitive Sciences, University of Hyderabad
Course offered: M.Phil , Ph.D.
- For M.Phil. and Ph.D.: Master’s degree in any discipline in the Humanities or Social or Natural Sciences with at least 55% marks. Selection is made on the basis of a written test followed by an interview.
- University of Hyderabad, Center for Neural and Cognitive Sciences (Ph.D., MPhil)
5. National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS) Bangalore
Course Offered: Ph.D.
- Ph.D. Program: The scholarships are open to those who have completed / are completing a Master’s/M.Phil. degree in any relevant subject in natural sciences, engineering, mathematics, social sciences, humanities or the arts, and with a consistently proven academic record (minimum 55% marks). Some research and/or field experience in the concerned areas may be preferred, but is not essential. Candidates who have passed the NET/ SET examinations or qualified for JRF/ DST/ CSIR/ ICSSR fellowships will be preferred.
- National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS), Indian Institute of Science Campus (Ph.D.)
- Website: http://www.nias.res.in/research-schools-humanities-cognition.php
6. IIT Hyderabad
Hope we will find more institute who are willing to explore in this area of research in future.